About Me & Blog Post 1

My name is Dana Blaylock, and I am entering my third year at UVIC majoring in biology. I have always loved spending my time outdoors and that has solidified my interest in biology and ultimately my pursuit of this degree. My favourite class I have taken at UVIC is my second-year ecology class, in which we studied the relationship between animals and their habitats. 

• What is Open Distributed:

Distributed education is where learning modes can be reached from various locations; often done using technology. This is different than the face-to-face traditional learning. This is beneficial for students who cannot physically be present within a classroom due to location, disabilities, or work. This allows for flexibility when it comes to accessible learning; allowing everybody to get an education no matter their situation. 

• What is Open Education:

Learning materials that are free of cost such as textbooks, courses, and materials are referred to as open education. This is beneficial as it allows for more accessible resources to people in difficult situations. It can allow students who have funding barriers to receive a valuable education. 

• Modes of Learning:

Different modes of learning could be online, face-to-face, blended, and hybrid. My favourite mode of learning would have to be a blended learning. I prefer to engage with people in person and be able to build connections and bounce back ideas of current assignments and topics. I also appreciate being able to submit assignments online or even take exams from the comfort of my own home. A blended mode of learning allows me to achieve my goals efficiently and adequately. 

• Digital Literacy

Having the knowledge and skill to properly use online tools and technologies for education is referred to as digital literacy. Digital literacy is important for open and distributed learning as many platforms for these types of education are online. These online resources are limited based on how well you can thrive within the online world. I have had to build my digital literacy as all my assignments are submitted online. I have had to use coding software and various simulation software for many university courses. If I had not had digital literacy I would have done poorly on those assignments, and it would impact my overall grade for that course. 

• Digital Identity

Your online image and presence are represented by your digital identity. This includes your posts, pictures, and any digital content created under your name. I post often on social media as a source of expression in photography and daily activities. I am very aware that what is posted online stays online and I use my platforms carefully. I avoid sharing personal and valuable information, as well as information that future jobs would frown upon. My digital identity plays a very positive role in my professional and educational life as I can use it to connect and share with classmates or coworkers.  

One Comment

1. Reply
    hannahkim 30 September 2024

Hey Dana, I really enjoyed reading about your experience with digital literacy. It’s amazing how you’ve built those skills through coding and simulation software! I agree that digital literacy is so important, especially as more courses shift online.

I resonate with your preference for blended learning. Like you, I enjoy the in-person aspect of building connections and discussing ideas, but the convenience of submitting assignments or taking exams from home is such a bonus. It gives the best of both worlds!